I have just been working on a talk I am giving this Wednesday on an entrepreneur’s perspective of the role of a Board of Directors. I only have 5 minutes to speak so has been a very good exercise in making it short but real. So here it is… you can have a sneak preview of my 5 minutes of fame:
The purpose of an entrepreneur is twofold:
1. To build a company with a higher purpose (think Richard Branson, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Anita Roddick and others such billionaires who make a difference to our world)
2. To build an exit for the shareholders (think Sam Morgan, the Trilogy sisters, Geoff Ross, Rod Drury for local heroes who have built a successful exit)
Why does an entrepreneur need a Board of Directors?
1. To challenge the strategy (to the exit and on-going)
2. To hold them to the goals and plans
3. To reality check the numbers
4. To hold the owners/management accountable
5. To support through the tough decisions
In a nutshell:
That’s it… what do you think?
Having successfully built and sold two businesses, Laura is a proven entrepreneur who now gives regular talks to business groups about creating freedom from business. Liber8me is Laura’s entrepreneurial response to the need for a practical guide to creating wealth and freedom from your business. True to Laura’s passion, Liber8me is the most leveraged way for her to share her experiences and ideas with as many people as possible… all of her business mentoring skills combined into one easy to access, cost effective online business mentoring programme.